Saturday, October 9, 2010

Squirrel Syndrome in Sutton

Gilles has always teased me for being afflicted with the squirrel syndrome. He usually was referring to always keeping an ample supply of toilet paper or other basic household items.
It is fall and the leaves are falling everyday. The squirrels are gathering their nuts for winter.  So, as the household COO, I am working on squirreling a few things for winter. Today, I bought 30 cans of maple syrup to get us through the winter. You might be asking what is the big deal about stockpiling maple syrup when you can get some in any grocery store or hardware store in the area. This is sacred. It is No.1 - extra light - extra clair and in limited supply and only available in select stores. Quite frankly, Gilles would say it was heavenly. When I went to buy a dozen today, I realized that they were on their last stock. Not just what was available in the store, but what was available in all of the area. So, I did what any reasonable COO would do and I bought nearly all they had. I left a few because, there might be someone out there just as addicted as Gilles and that would be unfair to deprive them.
You might also be wondering how much maple syrup a single person can eat. Well, we all know Gilles is extremely 'gourmand'. Now, as he builds the house, he is burning a ton of calories. He is always hungry. It is hard to keep up with making meals and buying groceries. SO, maple syrup is his poison. A dose every night with whatever he can douse. Usually, it entails a baguette. Sometimes, he takes it straight up. Regardless of the method, he always has a big grin of contentment. So, if we are to get a house built, he better have an ample supply for his addiction. Hopefully, these cans should get us to Christmas when the next tapping won't be far behind and he can settle for No.2.

1 comment:

  1. ha ha! Cos and I went to the apple farm and I ended up buying a 1/2 bushel of apples (about 50). I don't know what comes over me! It must be this squirreling instinct!! Now they are taunting me from their massive box "cook us before we rot" But I'd rather goof off online!

    ReplyDelete