Monday, October 11, 2010

Our first Quebec Thanksgiving

Thank you Gilles
This weekend we celebrated our first Thanksgiving in Quebec. We have so much to be thankful for that it was an excellent time to pause and reflect on all of our blessing. We celebrated on Saturday because it was Steve's last night. Words can't truly express how thankful we are for his visit.

Anyways, we had a delicious feast with lots of local goodies: an onion pie (une pissaladière), fresh curd cheese, un feuillté au canard (duck in a puff pastry), some toast with onion jam. Of course the piece de resistance was a turkey with apple and maple syrup gravy, mashed potatoes and vegetable dish of mushroom, asparagus, leeks and almonds. It was all delicious. More importantly, it was great to spend time with Gilles' mom and Sara's family. We were hoping to spend time with Gilles' father but we really could not spare a few days away form the construction site since the time is ticking on the weather. Hopefully, we will get to see him soon enough!


Today I went to see the house and it is just incredibly amazing. The trusses are up. I know that it was a feat for half a dozen men, but instead it was done by two: Gilles and Steve. I still don't know how they managed to do it all. I guess that explains the calloused hands, the back aches and the funny tingly feeling in their arms and fingers and the huge appetites. It won't be long before it gets closed and Gilles can breathe a sigh of relief.
 
Finally, I am thankful for the beautiful leaves changing to majestic colours. I am thankful for the storms that are making the leaves fall. I am thankful for the sunny days and cool crisp air. Nature marks the seasons and the progression of time in wonderful ways. I know Gilles worries about closing the house in time for winter. For, the passing of the seasons because it represents one step closer to living in my home, to cooking in my home, to sewing in my home!
Thank you Chulita for making us laugh and having a bigger social life than us here in Sutton
Fore more pics check out the link: Thanksgiving Pics

3 comments:

  1. I moved to Sutton 10 years ago from the UK and have never regretted it for a moment. A great community, beautiful scenery, terrific food - we really do have a lot to be grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynda, thanks for reading my blog. We should have coffee and meet. I would love to hear about your experience moving here. I really love it so far. The people are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucy, it sounds like a wonderful life...you looked incredibly happy when I saw you a month ago, now I know why! I look forward to seeing the progress, hearing of your joy and seeing cute little Chulita be a dog. Have fun in N.O.!

    ReplyDelete