Friday, October 22, 2010

Pushing my comfort zone with Canadian Curling in Sutton





As if the big move and all that it entails was not enough to push my comfort zone, I have decided to take up curling. Tonight I got to go test it out. I got a  last minute call from the President of Sutton's Curling saying that I could get my first taste of curling this evening. So after a quick trip to Cowansville, Gilles, Papi and Chulita accompanied me for my first go. While I was on the ice, the crew watched and giggled at my silliness. However, Chulita went beserk. She was so excited to see the stones sliding on the ice. She really just wanted to play and id not understand what it was all about. Eventually, they all left since she could come to grips with my new found sport.

I stayed on and learned the sport of curling. It is definitely not easy. One shoe has grips and the other has a slider.  Being new to curling, I sometimes would forget which shoe was the slider and which was the gripper. Needless to say, I was often on my bum.

Then, there is the whole issue of sliding the stone which weighs 45 pounds / 22 kg. In theory, you push off with your right leg and slide with the left. You hold the broom in your left hand for balance and slide with your right. Phew! that felt like a mouthful and it requires coordination. Once you push with your right leg, you should extend you leg and have a pointed toe for better balance and sliding. Yikes, lots too remember. I often did ok. Sometimes, I had an awesome shot. On occasion, I slid so much that I was sprawled out on my belly.


I had lots of laughs. It felt so silly to be slipping and sliding. I was definitely outside of my comfort zone. I did not know anyone before I got there, but we shared so many laughs that we are no longer strangers. I can't wait to go back and laugh some more. I am also really looking forward to getting to know more locals.
Stayed tuned for more curling adventures. I am sure there will be plenty more to come



2 comments:

  1. You're my Canadian hero! Thanks for sharing that, it sounds like tons of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hafta love a sport that lets you yell "huurrry haaaaaarrrrrddd!!" and have a blast doing so! Great fun!

    ReplyDelete