Sunday, October 3, 2010

Learning to live with the rhythms of the seasons

For those who know me well, you are aware that I am quick at getting things done and am impatient when things don't happen quickly.  Right now, there are so many things to do. There seems to never be enough time in the day to get it all done. I am not used to this feeling and it is hard to let go and focus on what is really important.

I need to learn to live with the rhythms of the seasons. So, this weekend I made the resolution to enjoy the  beauty of each season staring with Autumn. I spent time enjoying the beauty of the fall colors. On my drives, I stopped to take pictures, to observe the fields, the cows and the horses.

I also went to the Sutton market for the first time. There were so many pumpkins, squash and tons of vegetables, many of which I have never tasted before or cooked. I picked up a few pumpkins. Today, I cut up the pumpkins and made a pumpkin pear soup and roasted the pumpkin seeds. This was definitely a first for me.

Next up, I will try one of the many varieties of squash: butternut, hubbard, spaghetti, etc. Anyone have any preferences. Quite frankly, I don't know much about squash, but am determined to learn. This area has such a great variety of produce. I am looking forward to expanding my culinary horizons.

In the meantime, I will try to slow down. I will savor the leaves changing color. I will enjoy watching them fall. I will kick up the leaves like a giddy child as I walk in the woods. I will enjoy the progress of our dream becoming reality.

1 comment:

  1. You must try butternut squash. It makes amazing soup and great in a curried vegetable stew. Yum! Love your photography. You're so talented!

    ReplyDelete