Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The night the lights went out in Sutton

The statue of Jesus at the Catholic church in Sutton
Last night the lights went out in Sutton. I can't remember the last time that we had an electricity outage due to weather. I guess living in a condo in Vancouver can do that to you. Growing up in New Orleans makes me feel like you have to have some sort of spectaular storm for the lights to go out: throw in some thunder and lightening and you are set for a blackout. Yesterday was different. It was a yucky day with tons of freezing rain, sleet and rain. The trees started to get weighted down by the ice accumulating. In the evening, we were just chilling. Gilles was working on the kitchen design and I was translating my resumé while the wood stove had a good fire going. All of a sudden with no warning, the lights went out. The whole neighbourhood was dark. Not a sound, not a peep, nothing. So, we sat by the fire for a short time. After a while, we figured we might as well go to sleep and enjoy the peacefulness of the silence that surrounded us. A few hours later, the tv was blaring and the lights came on. I did what any woman in her right mind would do with a husband that sleeps with earplugs. I nudged Gilles awake and told him the tv was on. I wish the story could be more spectacular, but alas that is as good as it gets.
Good night to all and may our Jesus staylit with his lightbulb halo!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pic of "Christ of the Incandescent Hula Hoop". I like it even better at night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Steve, you're a funny guy. Lucy, you're in the middle of the country...why does Gilles still sleep with earplugs??? But we still use our sound machine, so I guess I can criticize.

    ReplyDelete