Wednesday, November 3, 2010

How long does it take put put up a roof?

Notice that half of the roof has the metal roof on

Everyone keeps asking if the roof is up. Now, most of you city dwellers don't really have any idea of what it takes to put a metal roof on a house. Let's face it, I keep asking why it is not finished yet. Well, apparently there is a lot more involved then just nailing a bit of metal to some plywood. For example, you have to put a membrane to protect the house from moisture and rain. Once the membrane goes on you have to be really careful because it can be very slippery. There was almost a nasty accident, but thankfully the guy involved was tethered to the roof. Phew! Once that is done, the metal needs to be cut and bent on one end so that the wind doesn't rip it off in one swoop. Then, it needs to be cut just right. Also, they had to cut around and install the chimney for the wood stove. That took quite a bit of work. You also need a dash of good weather. Today was a gorgeaous sunny day, but it won't last. The roof is supposed to be done by Friday but the forecast does not look good for Thursday and Friday.

Today, I took lunch to Gilles and Papito. They were happy to see me but Gilles through a fit because I picked up some patio chairs that a neighbour was getting rid of. I thought it would be great to have a place to sit other than our 2 camping chairs. And, hey, it was free. After he flipped out, we had a great lunch, put them back in the car and replaced them at the neighbours trash. Oh, well, so much for getting a free deal.

On another note, it was great to see that Gilles had worked on some siding on the East side of the house. The wood clapboard is quite spectacular. I can already envision it all over.

Stay tuned for future updates:
  • Windows get delivered tomorrow
  • Wood stove is coming soon
  • Papito is making paella tomorrow
Basically, life is feeling pretty good in Sutton. Things are slowing down. I had a great night at curling. My team won and I got a luck bulls eye even though Bob took it out. It is nice to have a feeling of belonging. My curling team is great. They have been in this neck of the woods for quite some time. I even started to translate my resumé which is a step in the right direction.

2 comments:

  1. Is dumpster diving a faux pas in Sutton? Glad to hear you're enjoying curling...good luck on the job hunt, but enjoy your time off. I'm very jealous about your linguistic skills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the lesson is, "No more stuff!" You know, the whole zen minimalism thing. :)
    The roof is looking great from this angle -- good luck with the rest, and the doors and windows. It'll be soooo different next week when it's all enclosed and you can start to heat the house!

    ReplyDelete