Saturday, November 6, 2010

Food that nourishes the soul...soothes, strengthens and reinvigorates

Papi's Paella
My dad has been visiting for a little over 2 weeks. I missed the first week with my trip to Vancouver. Since my return, I  have been fortunate enough to spend a lot more time with him. The main purpose of his visit was to help Gilles at the construction site. Due to the timing of things he has not had to be out there as much this last week. So, lucky for us he has spent his time cooking gourmet meals: paella, red lentil soup, cornish hens and so much more. The last time I was so lucky was in January 09 when I went for a visit while I was unemployed. Ok, I am starting to think it is not a coincidence that he is here and cooking such yummy food.
I remember then how wonderful it felt to be taken care of, to be nourished not only with food, but also with love. In 09 after 3 weeks of such gourmet delights, I was ready to take on the world. I quickly got a job and remember that time fondly. Now, just as I did then,  I feel re-energized and once again ready to take on the job hunt. I don't know what Sutton and the surrounding area has in store for me, but I am eager to find out and explore my options. I am confident that before long I will be employed and wishing I had more time for my crafts. In case my optimism and enthusiasm waivers, I can always heat up some of Papi's great meals that are in the freezer.
Thank you Papito for always supporting me. Thank you for your patience. Thank you for all your cooking. Thank you for giving me a vacation from doing the dishes. Thank you for being you and loving me no matter what.
On November 14, Papito will turn 80 years young. Tonight we will celebrate with Gilles' sisters family! I am excited that he is healthy, active and in great shape. There is certainly lots to celebrate! I am thankful we live closer now so that we can see each other more frequently.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your Papi. That paella sure looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buenos Compleanos, Papi! (Excuse my poor Spanish!) You can come visit PEI any time, especially if you're willing to cook!

    ReplyDelete