Saturday, September 18, 2010

The construction progresses despite the minor stresses of life

The beautiful shed awaiting its roof
During the past week and half, we encountered quite a bit of ups and down and stresses that can make life frustrating:
  • Plume, Sara's dog jumped out of the window of the car Gilles was driving and had to have surgery on her hind leg
  • My dad was hospitalized due to an infection.
  • I ran into some difficulties transferring my drivers license to Quebec. I think it was the first time I overtly encountered discrimination. 
  • The hot water in the shower upstairs is shot and I received notice that the our water was not potable.
  • Gilles was frustrated because it rained all week which made his efforts that much more complicated. To top it off, he had to move the floor joists in place all by himself and they are mighty heavy.
All these thing were frustrating, scary or stressful. The good news is that all of these have now been resolved. Both Plume and my Dad are doing better. Although, Plume is now better behaved since she is in recovery mode and my Dad is as stubborn as ever. I eventually got my drivers license and the unpleasantness was forgotten with the kindness of SAAQ employees in another city. Gilles managed to move the joists in place.

Today, it seems as though all the frustrations that I recently encountered started to fade away. This morning, I began by making curtains for the shed. Then, I went to the land to measure the length of the first curtain to make sure all was ok. I brought lots of goodies and we had a great picnic together.  While I was there, I took time to organize the shed and sweep the sawdust. Did I mention that I am going to take up curling? I have to get in all the practice I can.

Today, is a glorious September day. The sun is shining. The air is crisp. The leaves are starting to timidly change colours. The sounds of Jazz are present in the village for Sutton's Jazz Festival. Somehow, a day in Sutton can right all the frustrations. I am now making my first stew of the season: a beef burguignon. Just call me Julia, 'cause it is going to be to die for. Leonard Cohen is playing in the background while I cook. And suddenly, I realize that this is all part of the journey. This is where I am meant to be: amidst the fields of corn, amongst the cows and horses, surrounded by beautiful churches with history and beauty, amongst folks who happily speak in French and English and nobody cares how anyone speaks or where they are from. Most importantly, I am meant to be where I am loved and where I love. Thank you Gilles and Chulita for helping me when times get stressful!

For more pics, click on the link




All Saints Church  - Abercorn

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe the water didn't pass muster, that well has a curse on it! You should change the title of your blog from "Our Sutton Life" to "Our Saga with Water" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara suggested we have a sort of exorcism to get rid of all the bad water energy. Shy of that we might have to get a ouija board and seek out the help of the spirits ;-)

    ReplyDelete