Thursday, August 19, 2010

WATER UPDATE!!!

When your water gets turned off, there is not always an easy solution. Mine was getting the heck out of dodge. In other words, I decided it was high time to make it back to the city. I took the bus early in the morning and headed off to Montreal. I was planning on going on Thursday for a few meetings anyways so what's a few more days.
Ok. Ok let me back up and review the events as they unfolded:
  • Friday the 13th: Big day of cooking and getting ready for the family coming over for dinner. 30 minutes before they arrived, the water went pitch black. 
  • Saturday: Whew! Great to have a shower at Sara's. Dinner was great too, but seriously, let's stick with the basics.
  • Sunday: The water was slightly better. I was able to have a shower, but no hair washing.
  • Monday: 
    • The guy that dug the well came. Our first impression: we thought he was still drunk from the previous night. Anyways, he turned off the electricity to work on the pump. He thought some sort of vandalism had happened since the seal was broken and there were rocks in the well. Gilles and I were not sure sure about this theory. The pump was wedged. Despite bringing in a digger to try to wedge it out, there was no budging it. Then, oops the hose broke and a new well had to be dug. No water until further notice!! Not a pretty scene as you can imagine. 
    • How to take a shower in Sutton when you don't have running water? We had Sara's key to go take a shower but we did not feel like driving 30 minutesto go take a shower and then another 30 minutes return.  Gilles suggested we try to bathe in the lake / pond near the house. For those that don't know me well, let me tell you that bathing / swimming in a pond is not my sort of thing. After a few glasses of wine, the idea was getting better and better. So we grab some towels and headed off. It turned out to be a whole lot of fun. We were silly and giggling and could not keep a straight face. Chulita was a little confused that we were swimming in HER pond! We had a blast and felt much more refreshed afterward. It was not like a real shower but it did the trick.
      Chulita enjoying her pond
  •  Tuesday: I got an email saying that we would not have water until Wed at the earliest. The city needed to give a permit to drill a new well, the well had to be dug, etc. This is when I lost it. Enough already! After a small crisis, I called the campground up the street and they agreed to let me take a shower. They did not even charge me! All of a sudden, I could see and think clearly. What was I doing suffering through this? We are now living within close range of lots of Barbeau family members. It has gotta to be one the perks of living so close. So, I made up my mind to go to Montreal.
  • Wednesday: I woke up early and took the bus and went to the big city. Sara picked me up at the train station and I arrived to the great promised land of running water: flushing, washing my hands, the works.  I can't quite describe how great it felt. The new well was dug at the rental home and all was good. They had to disinfect and run the water. It would still be until Thusday that we would be able to bathe, but at least you could flush. 
  •  Thursday: All is well in Sutton.  Water is fully functional. Showers are possible. Flushing is greatly encourged...
Life in Sutton is back to normal. Now I just need to be back with my little Chulita and my working man and life will be good. Luckily, Gilles' birthday party on Saturday is still a go and the whole gang can come over a flush to their hearts' content ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment